November 5, 2012

The Weekender

Saturday:
It was a very different weekend than usual! Normally there's a lot of running around involved, but this was pretty chill. I woke up around 11, and was still feeling tired...Go figure! Mom and I watched The X Factor, and my dad joined in when he got home. Somehow, it's just not as entertaining as it was during the auditions, but I still like it. All I have to say is, Britney really messed up with her team. My dad went to a local sandwich place for lunch, while my mom got ready and I sat there like a lazy bum on the couch. We watched a lot of TV, and I did a few things around the house, and just hung out. There was also a very monumental thing that took place...I did my very first ever load of laundry. I've honestly never done many chores around the house, except for washing some dishes and taking out the trash. Other than that, my mom has always done everything for me. That was a VERY big deal for me, and to be honest, I loved it. I felt like it's one big step towards me growing up. It's about time, right?



Later on that night, my dad and I went to Wal-Mart. For some reason, Wal-Mart just always brings out the worst in me, and I get frustrated, usually, for no reason at all. I was trying to find the Taylor Swift CD, and there were none of the deluxe editions to be found. We asked a couple different people that worked at the cash register, and they were no help at all. I was extremely annoyed! We got the few items we needed, then ended up running into Walgreen's really quickly, so I could get an itunes card and picked up food at Panda Express.
We came home, ate dinner, then my dad and I ran out to another Wal-Mart to see if Taylor's CD was there. On the way, I was looking at my FB app, when I saw that one of my friends had seen Josh Duhamel at dinner in our town of BAKERSFIELD. Stuff like that doesn't just happen everyday here. I text her and she filled me in that she saw him and Fergie sit down at dinner, then realized it was them as they were walking out. Apparently, he could have been nicer, we'll just leave it at that, but I was still freaking out! I LOVE Josh Duhamel; he's one of my favorite people, and he's probably the number one person I always hope to run into when we're out and about in LA, so the fact that he was here is mind boggling to me. I guess he was here for his niece's wedding, which was cool.
I also heard that Diane Keaton was at a Starbucks in town here sometime this week. I guess that's when it's pretty cool to be one of those towns that people pass through. Especially when it's people like that.
Wal-Mart had what I wanted, I rejoiced, we payed, then stopped at Tutti Frutti for some yogurt. It was really good, but I felt kinda sick after that.



I headed to my room to call it a night, but decided to do a bit of reading on the election. I read an article in Glamour and was curious about a few other things, so I decided to look them up. I think I'm so into this election, because it's my first time to vote. I wanted to be educated, and I want to make the right choice. Even though I've already voted, I think it's still important to be informed about what other people think and what's going on.
The election is Tuesday! I voted by mail already, but if you haven't done it...I encourage you to do so! Our country depends on it, literally! Use your voice, because every vote counts! Stand up for what you believe in and vote for the candidate that reflects your beliefs best! #Americanpride

Sunday:
Yesterday was really good! My dad and I went to church, as usual. The service was amazing! Our pastor has been in Israel, with some of the other church family, so we were all glad to have him back. He spoke on faith, which has been something I've really been dealing with this year. The actual sermon was called "How To Walk On Water," and it was all about trusting God when storms come up, rather than focusing on the problem itself. There were so many incredible points, that I was jotting all around the page, and not just in the small blanks they give us. These are the ways that we can walk on water with God:

  • Examine and confess my fear
  • Examine the risk
  • Expect the fear to return
  • Encounter the presence of God
  • Express the praise to God
I haven't been spending time with God at all lately, other than a few prayers here and there, and I can really tell a difference in my attitude and the way I think. My priorities have been all mixed up and I've been more worried, because I'm focusing on all of my problems rather than God. The line Pastor James said that stuck out to me the most was, "If you want to walk on water, you've gotta get out of the boat." We can't live in fear; we have to faith that God is going to come through in the areas that we need Him. Fear can either drive us to God or from Him. It's a matter of letting go, really. When we sink, God doesn't. He won't let us down the way people and things and circumstances do. When we rely on Him, all of those little things disappear. It doesn't mean the problem goes away, but the fear that we face does. 

"I will praise the Lord at all times. I will constantly speak His praises. I will boast only in the Lord; let all who are helpless take heart. Come, let us tell of the Lord's greatness; let us exalt his name together. I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears."
Psalms 34:1-4

When church ended, I said hi to Hillary and filled her in on my college process and told her how my mom was feeling. We also talked about how our one year anniversary is coming up, so we'll need to hang out SOON! I said hi to a couple other friends who came up, then decided to catch up with my dad. 
My dad and I had lunch at Olive Garden, which was nice. I don't think we've ever really gone out to a nice meal much like that with just the two of us. It was good dad/daughter time. I had the Seafood Alfredo, and of course, there were plenty of breadsticks and salad. I was so full afterwards! 
We spent the afternoon at home, not doing much. I a couple loads of laundry and scrapbooked! Crazy, right? Then, as darkness fell upon us, my dad and I decided to go to Wal-Mart to do the grocery shopping for the week. Again, it's something about Wal-Mart, I'm telling you! We grabbed a few frozen meals and a couple other things, which didn't take too long, then grabbed food from Del Taco. We were laughing at some of the things we bought, and came to the conclusion that whatever we bought will just have to do and we'll learn to like it! LOL. 

We ate dinner, and mom and I watched some holiday movies on Hallmark. It still feels way too soon, but there wasn't much else on...and as soon as you watch one, you're hooked. Plus, it gives us a head start on all the ones I'm sure we'll want to see later on. For some reason, I always get into a really creative mood while watching them. Maybe it's something about the holidays? Or settings? I have no idea, but I was in the mood to write! 
I hopped in bed and grabbed my laptop to work on a couple story ideas, which was really great. I love it when my creative juices are flowing :)


All in all, I'd say it was a pretty productive weekend. I think I'm making progress with some things of my own, as well. 

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment