I honestly can't believe that we're in the last week of 2012, and we're looking into what 2013 holds for us. It's exciting, nostalgic, sentimental and a little scary as we think about the unknown. But, also with that comes a great time of reflection; all of the wonderful times we've had, the things we've learned from, and the times that we were just so wrapped up in a moment that it almost didn't seem possible to be enjoying life so much. Here's a little breakdown of my year:
1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
- Honestly, I had the time of my life. I don't think I've ever felt so free or present in whatever situation I've been in, as much as I have this year, which allowed me to just take chances and let loose a little; I had FUN. I took a lot of mini road trips with friends from church to Santa Monica, the mountains, and to a convention down in Orange County; I was baptized; I got my permit; I voted in the presidential election; I started a worship song for our Young Adults group which was a big step for me; I helped out in my friend's classroom; was an assistant to my friend who is a photographer at weddings and got paid; carpooling with friends I'd made in classes at school and becoming great friends with them. Also, I did laundry; I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'd never done a load of laundry in my life, so that was a big deal.
2. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
- I'd like to get my license, because I can't tell you how many times I've said I was going to do that since I was 16. This year, I got way closer to that, so I'd really like to follow through with it finally. I'd also really like to check into getting a job or an internship at the news station to get experience for what I want to do. Maybe I need to get more specific with my goals, and say I'd like to get involved with the newspaper or Bakersfield magazine in town.
3. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- I had a few: getting my permit, finding out that I'm going to graduate from my junior college in May, my relationship with God is the closest that its ever been, helping out with the announcements at church, volunteering a little more at church, getting accepted into an honor society at school, and letting go of the past, not totally ripping myself to shreds when I made a mistake was nice. And I guess starting to do things a little more independently of my parents.
4. Biggest failure?
- I've been trying not to focus on those at all, otherwise I'll beat myself up over it constantly all day every day. If I had to choose something, it would be...Not really being aggressive about furthering my career any or making any connections along the way. I'd also have to say not joining the honor society at school, because I know that looks really good on transcripts. I think also still trying to handle things on my own, rather than giving them to God really messed things up here and there, too. Other than that, I don't believe in regrets. It all happens for a reason. You can always learn something from it.
5. Best thing someone bought you?
- My parents buying me the Jonas Brothers VIP package for their concert in LA was hands down the best thing anyone has ever given me (that was of materialistic goods). Another thing was my friend, Viviyan, bought me a Joyce Meyer devotional book that helped me tremendously this year. Each morning, it was like she knew exactly what my situation was and was helping me out with how to handle it.
6. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- An evening with One Tree Hill, Team True Beauty event, meeting the Jonas Brothers, meeting Carrie Underwood and her wearing the shirt I gave her during the concert, getting invited to see Taylor Swift on Ellen, the Catalyst convention, going to South Carolina/seeing family, visiting Wilmington (AKA Tree Hill) and seeing all of the OTH film locations, going to Nashville, the network rehearsal of Partners (Sophia Bush's new show), dodger games, American Idol finale and red carpet, making new friends, Kelly Clarkson concert, seeing Carrie Underwood at Jimmy Kimmel and meeting her afterwards, talking to a lot of my favorite celebrities on Twitter, going to the beach, finally going to Runyon Canyon, the American Idol live concert and meeting them after the show, spending more time with my best friend (Marissa), the women's conference at church, the president coming to town and his motorcade passing us, antiquing, having day trips in Tehachapi, starting a story with my friend Rebecca (as well as collaborating on a little songwriting with her), switching to a different bedroom in my house that is a lot bigger, going stargazing and having adventures with the girls from church, new flooring in our house, the Christmas concert our church held at Rabobank Theater, Taylor Swift's CD "RED" coming out, exploring with friends around the small town where our college is, the Jonas Brothers concert at the Pantages, knowing that I'm going to graduate next year. I'm sure there are plenty others that I'm missing, but I'm pretty sure this wraps up the main things. This year, I wanted to be excited about all of the small things- no matter what it was, knowing that each day was holding something great in it.
7. What songs will always remind you of 2012?
- Home, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, Everybody Talks, Tonight (We Are Young), Good Girl, One Way Ticket, Why Ya Wanna...I could type out an entire paragraph or two about all of the songs that would remind me of this year. So many for different occasions.
8. What do you wish you had done more?
- I wish I would have tried to go out driving more after I got my permit, but I only went out once with my dad. I guess I'm just still waiting as long as I possibly can for it.
- I wish I would've read more. I'd buy all these books, start them and not finish.
9. What do you wish you had done less?
- Once again, spending so much time on social networking sites, when I could have been doing more productive things. I think that will always be a problem with the age we're living in.
10. How do you plan to spend New Year's Eve?
- Well, I just found out tonight that we're having some family friends over and we'll probably just watch a movie or hang out, which is my favorite way of doing it :) I'm pretty boring.
11. Favorite TV program?
- One Tree Hill and The Office.
12. Greatest musical discovery?
- Colton Dixon, Gungor, and just several other artists that have been around, but I actually started paying more attention to them this year like Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, etc.
13. What did you want and get?
- There were a lot of things I "wanted" or was expecting of this year. I pretty much accomplished all of those and gained so much more than I ever could have imagined in the process. Some were just superficial things like meeting Nick Jonas and others were deeper, like letting go of the past, forgiving, etc. And I might not be where I want to quite yet, but I'm getting there. That's all I could ask for.
14. What did you want and what did you not get?
- Honestly, I guess it was a boyfriend once again...But, it sounds really stupid now thinking about it hahhahahah. That is definitely NOT going on my list of things I want next year.
15. What did you do on your birthday?
- I always tend to drag my birthday out to a week or really as long as I can make it last. This year, my big birthday present was the Team True Beauty event in LA, so that was AWESOME. I went to lunch with one of my best friends, her mom and my mom because it's a fun tradition we've started, and it was a blast! We talked for a couple hours and ate; I always look forward to that. I went out to dinner with my family on my actual birthday, and the next night, I celebrated with the girls from church: we went to dinner, got some yogurt, and got in the jacuzzi at Hillary's house. One of the best birthday's ever, because I had some really special people to share it with.
16. What would you describe your personal fashion concept as in 2012?
- I took a few more risks with fashion than ever before. I wore more layers, boots, and darker colors than I'd usually wear. I guess it'd be a little more along the lines of "hipster". HAHA!
17. What kept you sane?
- My relationship with God first and foremost. If I didn't find hope and courage through my faith in Jesus Christ, I don't know where I would be. Also, my friends from church inspired me in so many ways whether it was through prayer or just showing me what true friendship means. And a couple of best friends I have that were always there helped me through those tough times.
18. What was the best thing you ate?
- Hmm...I really liked Kilwin's ice cream and Chops sandwiches in Wilmington, NC.
19. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012?
- I learned to really be content with what I have. Sure, there were things I wanted and I got a lot of them, but it was more about spending time with people or having experiences and meeting people, rather than just wanting, wanting, wanting. I also started grasping the idea behind having peace and patience, whether it was waiting in line for something at the grocery store or something a little bigger and waiting on God's timing to come through. And true friendships will always be there, no matter what hardships it may endure in the meantime. I'm also a lot more capable than I give myself credit for most of the time, and can be a lot stronger than I thought in certain situations when it is called for.
20. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
- Well, if you know me at all, coming up with just one song lyric is pretty impossible, but I'll try. If not, I'll just resort to full songs:
"As bad as it was, as bad as it hurt, I thank God I didn't get what I thought that I deserved, sometimes life leads you down a different road, when you're holding onto someone that you've gotta let go. Someday you'll see the reason why...Sometimes, yeah, sometimes, there's good in goodbye."
"We're happy, free, confused and lonely in the best way! It's miserable and magical, oh yeah, tonight's the night when we forget about the heartbreaks...It's time!"
"You shine like a diamond, glitter like gold..."
"I feel like a good time coming on..."
"Tonight, we are young, so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter than the suuuuuunnn!"
"Always love, hate will get you every time."
"Thank God for hometowns and all the love that makes them go around. Thank God for the county lines that welcome you back in when you were dying to get out. Thank God for church pews and all the faces that won't forget you. So, when you're lost out in this crazy world, you've got somewhere to go and get found. Thank God for hometowns."
"I'm really gonna miss you picking fights and me, falling for it screaming that I'm right! And you...would hide away and find your piece of mind, with some indie record that's much cooler than mine."
There you have it. I know I'm probably forgetting so much, but it's hard to fit everything into just a few short questions. Over the weekend, I'll also be posting some of my favorite pictures of the year, because when all is said and done, they captured the moments the best.
That's all for now,