March 11, 2014

Almost Done


Sipping tea! Toasting to the quarter almost being over!
It's the last week of regular classes, and I couldn't be more thrilled. Well, unless we were already on spring break, in which case, I would be more excited. But, I digress. Everything is coming to a close; classes end this week officially (though I still might have to go on Monday), last minute papers are being turned in, no pitch sessions and editing meetings for the newspaper, and I'm starting to wonder what in the world I will do with all of this free time. A bit of foreshadowing for you: I think I'll be just fine.

Just as I was starting to get used to my schedule, everyone in my classes and having my routine down, it's time to switch everything up again. And in a way, I'm ready for it.

I don't think I have ever been more exhausted from the beginning of the quarter than I was with this one. I wouldn't call it depression necessarily, but I have certainly been struggling the entire time. I've still been questioning whether or not I have what it takes to be a journalist. I thought all of this would just come naturally, and it hasn't. For so long, I've been so good at school, and there are so many things that I've had to work harder to be good or get better at, now that I'm in college, and it isn't something I've been used to. There are so many incredibly talented people around me who seem to pros at writing and running the newspaper, that sometimes it makes me question what I can do and what I'm good at. But, every day, I'm learning not to do that. I'm also learning to speak up more and voice my opinions, rather than just listening to everyone else's and saying whether I like it or not. That definitely has to change. I just feel sick and tired. All. the. time. bleh!

Since I am a journalism major, all of my classes are pretty heavy on the writing. There's feature writing, newspaper production, and theories in communication. All which usually require 2-3 papers a week. *SIGH* Most of the time, I just like not writing in my free time, unless it's something I'm really passionate about. I do love blogging and working on stories, and that's when I wonder if that's the route I would like to go on instead. I'd like to run my own website/organization that helps girls, along with a YouTube site, like Amy Poehler does with Smart Girls at the Party. I'd also like to write a book series about realistic things that happen to all of us. These are just ideas at the moment, but I feel like I'm getting closer to finding the path that was meant for me.

Standing in between me and Spring Break:
  • 3 pg paper about Roger and Me film
  • Relationships paper
  • Story pitches to magazine editor in town
  • Final paper for feature writing
  • Mass Media and Society "presentation"
  • One more day of the newspaper (and it's a PARTY)
I think that covers it. I'm just going to be working hard to get it all done, so next week, I can focus on the two finals that I have and enjoy the rest of the week.

That's all for now,
Shelby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment