April 4, 2012

Goodnight Tree Hill...For The Last Time

A show has not really tugged at my heart strings since Gilmore Girls when it ended in 2007, and I thought no show could EVER even come close to the way I felt about it. And then another show about a small town came into my life. One Tree Hill has become so much more than a show to its viewers over the past nine years, including myself. It has been their lives portrayed across TV screens week after week; as the characters were growing and maturing, so was the audience. Whether it was them or someone they knew, they related to the story line or a character in some way. I know I did. I didn't watch nine years straight like the rest of the OTH family did, but I've grown to love it just as much. And boy, do I wish I had watched during my high school years. It would have saved me A LOT and helped me through a lot of struggles.

I was probably about eleven or twelve when it first aired, and around the time I fell in love with Chad Michael Murray, so I had to watch an episode. The first one would have been Haley's bachelorette party in season 2, which I watched with my mom. After about 20 minutes, she was like uh, no, I think we're gonna have to change the channel and we did (LOL). A couple years later, I made the decision that I was going to try it again. This time, it was the school shooting episode, and I watched the entire thing. I was so intrigued by it all. I thought it was SO good. But, at the time, I was pretty chicken and didn't think I could handle something like that week after week, so I just didn't watch again, except for maybe here and there on SoapNet if nothing else was on. Until that one day, last September or October.

One Tree Hill couldn't have come at a more perfect time. I was really missing my friends, because we're all on different schedules or in different states or we're just getting ready to head down different paths. I needed a little insight or a little reminder that it was all going to be okay. All Tomorrow's Parties was the first episode I watched and was hooked. To me, it captured everything that the show is about, teenagers finding their way and forming lifelong friendships in the process, capturing those rare and incredible moments of high school. I guess I needed reminding of the great times my friends and I shared, even if nothing else in the future. And that sometimes there are such powerful moments in our lives, that it stuns us as it's going on and we'll remember it forever; something that will help us through the moments that are less than perfect. That was when I knew this was more than just a show for pure pleasure and entertainment. This show was looking much deeper than that and I loved it. It told a story; it was there to HELP people. I feel like this is one of the last shows on TV that truly give a moral to the story. I love that they would make mistakes, but that there were consequences for their actions or they learned to do the right thing. This show made a difference, and it is inspiring so many people all around the world to do the same with their talents and voices.

Lessons I learned from One Tree Hill:
  • Even in the midst of all the chaos in life, you can find the beauty in things, like the warmth of family and friends being by your side.
  • Everyone has greatness inside of them, you just have to BELIEVE in yourself and in the possibility of your dreams.
  • Everyone deserves a second chance 
  • Don't judge people based on appearances or reputation. If you look past all of the "bluster and b.s", you just might be surprised...(Look at Nathan and Haley).
  • True love is out there, and TRUE love can work past anything (Naley)
  • Even just one song can completely change your entire day (Peyton)
  • Your art matters and it will inspire others
  • Tell the ones that you love most how much they mean to you, because you never know when that will be taken away
  • Happiness isn't a destination, it's a mood...and people will probably be happier when they figure that out (Julian)
  • You can rise above whatever trials and adversities in your life, don't just sit there feeling sorry for yourself
  • There is nothing romantic about pain and grief, it's just ugly garbage, that has no business being there
  • The pain you're feeling right now? It goes away, and it DOES get better.
  • Things aren't always going to be fair in the real world, but for the most part, you get what you give.
  • If you open your heart, you might find yourself in some pretty incredible, yet unexpected places
  • Whatever you're facing, you're not alone.
  • Things will come and go in your life, but true friendship remains!
  • Some people will never change. Instead of focusing on that, accept it and move on with YOUR life.
  • Don't let fear dictate your life; rise above it
  • High school isn't everything.
  • Your life shouldn't revolve around basketball, there are more important things in life
  • People are going to label you, but it's how you rise above those labels that matters
  • You are worth it and being YOU is enough
  • "Always love, hate will get you every time!"
  • Never trust anyone with the last name Keller ;)
  • I could come up with more, but we'd probably be here for days. 
These characters have come alive to me! I especially admire the characters of Haley James Scott, Peyton Sawyer, and Brooke Davis. There's a little bit of me in all of them. I had friendships like they did, I knew people who fought like they did, and I knew people who loved like they did. All strong, empowering women that had a dream and went after it. They remind girls everywhere to believe in themselves! And as for the guys, well, they remind us that maybe there are still some good ones left in this world ;) HA!

In the short time that I've been watching this show, I have made some incredible memories and had opportunities that I will never forget. I've met some really wonderful friends through Twitter, An Evening With One Tree Hill and the Team True Beauty event that have really inspired me. I've met a few of the cast members who couldn't have been more gracious and lovely, and were more beautiful in person not only because of their looks, but because of their hearts. I couldn't be more grateful or have dreamed of anything more. Later this year, I'll be going to Wilmington, NC to see where the show was filmed, and I am beyond excited! This will truly fulfill all of my wildest expectations.

To end this, I'd just like to say, Mark Schwahn, thank you for inviting us into your world and sharing your stories with us. Thank you to the cast that became like our friends through the likes of Haley, Nathan, Brooke, Julian, Peyton, Lucas, Jamey, Skills, Mouth, etc. Good night Tree Hill, and thanks for always being a safe place that we could always run to; where things were always better. This may be the ending of the Tree Hill gang, but we can all hold onto those memories through the box sets. No, it's not the same, but, it will still help you through the hard times that life will always throw your way.

That's all for now,
Shelby
xoxox  

No comments:

Post a Comment