August 19, 2013


I guess I'll start with Friday for this "Weekend Review"...It was basically the normal routine of running errands with my mom. We went to the bank, got the car washed, and decided to have lunch at Mexicali (one of our family's favorite restaurants) downtown. After that, we were going to hit a couple antique stores nearby, but the one we really wanted to go in was closed down...Boo :( We went into one, but they were a little pricey, so we weren't there very long. I wasn't ready to go home just yet, so we ended up running to a couple places, so my mom and I could find something to Taylor Swift's concert this week! AH! I didn't have much luck, but my mom did...After that, we headed home. The rest of the afternoon was pretty simple. 

Friday night, I sat out on the porch for a little while, while my mom got dinner ready on the BBQ! It was a perfect evening, and I never go in the backyard hardly, so I decided to change things up a little. The sun was setting and there was a slight breeze in the air, which was much nicer than during the day. All of a sudden, it's like I time traveled to the future...and my mind gets away from me, worrying about things that are not in my control and asking myself, "Have I really lived?" Don't get me wrong, I've been able to do so much, but I feel like most of it has been from the outside looking in. I feel like there's still so much I need to get out there and experience for myself. I guess starting the university in the fall will be a really good thing for me, in more ways than one. I think it'll help push me to get more involved and to meet new people! I think I need that more than anything right now. I am way too comfortable with where life is at, and it's getting old. 
 Then, I went inside and had dinner with my parents, trying to push the latter out of my mind. 



New boards I got from Target to use for inspiration; planning, quotes, some of my favorite people, and whatever else my heart desires!
Saturday:
I woke up really sick (AGAIN), earlier Saturday morning, which wasn't really a surprise. I took some medicine and tried to get back to sleep, but it wasn't working, so I just got on my phone; reading through Twitter and staring at the ceiling. When I heard my mom was up, I went out to the living room and watched music videos on CMT, and my mom made me some hot tea. I thought I was feeling okay, but then the sickness hit again...I was groggy and tired most of the day, but I was itching to go somewhere. I went out to lunch with my parents and we went to Forever 21, so I could find something to wear to the Taylor concert, and I think I found the perfect outfit! 
We went home after that, and I was totally wiped out and annoyed with the mall. I had planned on going somewhere, since I still hadn't been anywhere by myself since I got my license, but I ended up falling asleep on the chair...And watching Noteworthy at The Opry (even though I'd seen them several times before). A little later, my dad suggested going to the movies with some family friends, so we all went to see "Planes," which was ADORABLE! I seriously think that I loved it better than cars. Because of the message, I found myself relating so much to the little cropduster plane; knowing he's made for so much more, but starts to listen to the people around him, telling him that he's just this or that, and should stick to what he knows. 
When the movie was over, we decided to have dinner at Chipotle, and luckily, there was no one there. We sat on the patio; talked and ate, and even saw several bunnies nibbling on grass, that were so cute. It was almost like they kept multiplying while we were out there! HA! After sitting outside for awhile, my dad wanted dessert, so we found ourselves going to one of the local ice cream shops. And even though I kept saying I wouldn't get anything, I got toffee, which is my favorite! 
We weren't there for very long, and talked a little in the parking lot, then headed home...I couldn't believe it was already 11:30! Time flies when you're having fun, I guess :)
Could it possibly have to do with meeting Taylor Swift? Because I will take it ;)





Sunday:


Sunday was a strange day! It seemed like the morning was a bit more rushed than usual, but eventually we made it to church. The message was on anxiety, and I think I needed to hear it now more than ever! I have been way too anxious over everything lately and need to stop letting it all get to me. So, I'll be hanging on to the handout, especially during the school year as a reminder to just let it go and meditate on God's word, instead of focusing on my problems. 
After church, we had lunch at Chuy's, then came home for a little while. That's when I finally decided to take my first little excursion by myself and drove to my friend's school to help out with her classroom for a bit. I was so nervous, yet ready for it. "Life is a Highway," was playing as I pulled onto the street and I couldn't help but let out a little girlish squeal. I couldn't believe I was actually going somewhere completely by myself...That has never, ever happened before. Usually I'm with a relative or a friend, and have to get dropped off. But, it was the coolest thing in the world to be completely by myself and to be the one in control of the steering wheel. AH!
 I helped Mandy out in her classroom a little, but there weren't many things to do (since school started today), so I just helped her making a list of last minute things she'd need to do this week and we talked the rest of the time. She's several years older than me, so she has always been able to help me through the big transitions in my life; going to college, driving, etc, because she's been there before. It's nice to have someone closer in age to get advice from. She's like an older sister to me! 
A couple hours later, we headed out and I went home. This time, it felt more natural to be by myself, but it's still going to take some time getting used to. And then I heard, "Highway Don't Care" come on...which was a little more unsettling than my perfect moment earlier in the day. So, I just kept singing along and paying closer attention to the road, because I did not want to end up like the girl in the video, if you know what I mean. A few minutes later, Jason Aldean came on with, "Crazy Town," and it just had me thinking about how I'm one step closer to living out my dream. It'll still be awhile, but you have to start somewhere, right? And I'm FINALLY making some actual progress. Right now, I just feel really high on life!! :D.
Let me tell you, there's nothing like being behind the wheel, listening to country music and thinking about life as you drive. It's probably one of my new favorite things. 

I got home, talked to my family a little on Skype (for our weekly call), then watched Parenthood on Netflix, because I need to catch up before the end of next month. We went out to dinner awhile later, and because it was still daylight out, I suggested just riding around, because we tend to do that a lot around here. There's not much to do other than shopping or a movie, so we drove...In my heart, I know I won't be in this city forever, so riding around to all of the beautiful spots reminds me to soak it up while I can. These are the moments I want to remember, and realize how special they are while I'm living them. I don't want to wake up one day to realize I missed out on something really great. We drove to my dad's old neighborhood, and I love hearing his stories about growing up or some of his friends, or the ones that include my grandma, because it meant she was still around. 
We came home, and I decided to walk out on the back porch. I can't get enough of these summer nights. The moon had this really incredible glow that seemed to light up our backyard. I was in awe of the stars and everything that God has created. It reminds me of how small I am, and how big God is. All of that simply meaning, there's nothing He can't handle. My dad joined me a few minutes later and we talked about some of the exciting things coming up in the next couple weeks, which led to life. And in just a matter of minutes, I sure can freak myself out about everything. But, it was good to hear his perspective on things. Gotta love our Wonder Years moments! HA!

I had a mini breakdown, because I think it's healthy to just let it out once in awhile, then went inside to watch Jeopardy. So, I'm basically 80 years old ;) Yay me! 

And that was my weekend! Time to start gearing up for the Taylor Swift concert tomorrow! AHHHH!

That's all for now,
Shelby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment