March 10, 2013

American Idol Top 10


Thursday night, the "Top 10" of American Idol season 12 was revealed in Los Angeles, CA. The top 20 made their way back from spending the last couple weeks in Las Vegas, to the home stage at CBS Studios, where it would determine a pretty significant moment in each of their lives. Some for the better, and the others, that it was the end of the road.

I absolutely loved this reveal show; I felt like there were enough new elements to keep it different, and they kept the ball rolling with everything, so it felt like it moved along quicker, where sometimes it just feels like, "get on with it, Ryan!" I liked how they split the guys and girls, told them who was going through, then gave them a chance to wrap their minds around it, before going out in front of the audience to perform their song of choice. Also, can we talk about how compassionate Ryan seems since he's been dating Julianne?? He seems so much more relaxed than in the first several seasons.
To me, it was so cool when those screen doors slid open; seeing families' reactions to their kids getting through and the contestants' faces, as well, to know that they're one step closer to achieving their dream. I couldn't help but tear up.

Here's my recap of the show. First, it was the guys.

Paul Jolley~ Woo! So happy! I really love his voice ( I mean this in the best way that he has almost one of those tortured artists sounds, like when he sings it's coming from his gut and you know exactly how he feels), his southern charm, and his story. He seems like a nice guy with that country soul, and I really enjoy getting to see him grow as the competition goes. He has that star quality, but he'll adapt to it more and more. He is definitely one of my favorites.

Burnell Taylor~ I like him! I think he has a good voice, he has his own sense of style. This works for me. He seems likable too, which is a big deal to me.

Curtis Finch Jr.~ Not a big fan; reminds me too much of Joshua Ledet, who I ended up really liking. So, for me, it's just not anything original, but that could change by the end of the season. I hope to be wowed.

Devin Velez~ I didn't really remember him much when he first sang in Vegas, but after he did his first performance over there, I thought he was incredible. The way he went into singing Spanish, made it seem so effortless, and it sounded beautiful. I was a little worried he might start to do that every time, so I was a little on the fence, but I think he has such a powerful voice that it'll carry him through.

When it came to the last spot, my mom and I were on the edge of the couch, almost literally biting our nails, because Lazaro hadn't made it through. But, we were also pulling for Nick. I love that he had that whole singer/songwriter vibe going on. He's also 29, so it was his last shot. So, we were pulling for either of them, and then....

Lazaro Arbos~ As soon as I saw Lazaro's first audition and his backstory, I was really connected with him. At first, I was rooting for him because of how much he had overcome, and then he opened his mouth. I was completely floored by what he could do. It just goes to show you what a lifesaver music truly is. You can hear his story in his voice and the songs that he sings. His confidence has grown week after week, and last week's performance blew me away with how he owned the stage. It was a different side to him that we hadn't seen. He's my other favorite guy.

Then, just as we were able to breathe a sigh of relief that most of the guys we'd wanted made it, it was time to take a deep breath for the girls.

Janelle Arthur~ I really like Janelle. I think she's sweet and fun; reminds me a bit of Kellie Pickler, and like Mariah said, is just the all American girl. I think she has a good voice, but I just don't know if the songs have been strong enough for her yet. She really reminds me of classic country-the days of Tammy Wynette and Patsy Cline, which I love, because that's not around much anymore. I think if she were to sing more of those old time-y songs and make them current, she'd do incredible.

Candice Glover~ I was actually pretty surprised with this one! I liked her, but wasn't sure that she would make it through. I was really impressed with the song she did after she was into the top 10, so I'm excited to see how she does.

Angie Miller~ After people had been chosen and Angie's name still hadn't been called, we were starting to get worried, but as soon as she was called and stepped onto that stage, I was at ease. She has been my favorite from the beginning, so it was taking everything in me not to blubber like an idiot. I was holding back so many tears (especially because it's my favorite Beyonce song-SO powerful), and then I saw Keith crying and talking about she makes him emotional when she sings, and that just really didn't help. Basically...She's incredible and I'm pretty sure she will win the title. If not, she won't have a hard time getting a record deal.

Amber Holcomb~ I think this girl has some CRAZY vocals. I wasn't crazy about her first performance in Vegas, but I think that was more to do with song choice than anything. This week, she KILLED that Whitney Houston song and made it look so easy. So not fair! HA! I think she really shined this time around, and is only going to get better from here. She definitely has a powerhouse voice! And she always seems to have a smile on her face.

Kree Harrison~ FINALLY, they call her name (is my first thought). I absolutely love her! She is another true artist in a different way; her voice tells such a deep story when she belts it out, and she just wears her heart on her sleeve. I love that she is who she is and knows what kind of music she wants to sing. To me, she's one of those dark horses; she's incredible, yet quiet, which usually works in a lot of cases on Idol, and I'm pretty sure it'll work in her favor as well. She seems to have quite a large fan group, myself included, and I know they are hardcore voters! She has such a confidence and stage presence that just comes so naturally that it's ridiculous. I know she's going to do great.

So, all of my favorite girls made it and so did most of my guys! I'm really loving this season already and I can't wait to see how well everyone else does as the season goes on, because a lot of times, they surprise you. There is so much talent and it seems like a really great group of people.

I am SO BEYOND EXCITED for next week, and not just because I'm anxious to hear what they sing (and I am), but because I will be in the live studio audience at CBS when they show tapes! I've never been to a regular taping, just two finales (not that I'm complaining at all there), so I'm incredibly excited that it happens to be the very first taping of the top 10. It'll be interesting to hear how everyone sounds live, and will make it a bit easier when it comes to voting later on.

That's all for now,
Shelby





No comments:

Post a Comment