March 5, 2013

"It's Moving Day, It's Moving Day...Hey, Baby, Hey!"

Saturday morning I woke up to my alarm clock going off much earlier than usual. And it was on purpose. I opened my eyes around 6:45, did my devotion, put on my makeup, and was ready to go by 7:30. My parents and I had breakfast at Denny's, which was amazing! Pancakes had sounded great the night before, so we decided we'd either go to Denny's or ihop the next morning. That was a really great decision!
I had also deleted my Facebook and Twitter apps, so that I can start to be truly engaged in conversation and spending time with family/friends, rather than checking what's new with most people that I really don't even contact with anymore. So, we finished breakfast, and had to stop by my dad's work to get a few things, then went up to my grandparents' place to help them move. Luckily, they were just moving into a smaller place in the same complex, just a few steps away.

There was quite a bit to move, and it was hard trying to figure out where everything would go, but the process was fun. I was glad I got to see my uncle, because I haven't seen him in awhile, and some other relatives that I only see a couple times a year, if even that. I love having all of those silly moments that families have while moving! It was like a sitcom waiting to happen. Good times! 
I also fell in love with the patio/view at my grandparents' new house. It's right above the freeway, so you can watch the cars go by and it's a terrific view of the city; you can see for miles around. If only we hadn't been there to work, I would've been pulling out my notebook to write some ideas down. It's the perfect place to think. 
Then, when I had a moment free, my grandpa asked me for some help with something, and we ended up talking for quite some time. He told me all about who he thought should be president in 2016, his life on the farm, among other things. I was really trying to soak it up, because you just never how rare those moments will be. 
We moved things around for most of the morning, then took a break for lunch. We ordered pizza, and all just sat around talking about politics and whatever else. My uncle always likes to talk to me about American Idol, so that's what we did. We talked about our favorite contestants and some of the others we were shocked they kept. 

After lunch, we got back to work, and things got a little more intense as it all started winding down. My cousin's daughter, Kylie, is such a big helper. She's only 7, but she was probably doing the most, if you want to get technical. She was willing to do whatever anyone needed her to, and she is great with organizing things. So, once all of the main furniture was moved into the new place, Kylie told me I'd be helping her put everything back in the fridge, and make sure nothing else was left in the other house. She was definitely putting me to work and I liked it. We also organized their bathroom, and a few other little things here and there. It was fun and tiring.
Once everything was settled into its place, Kylie wanted to show me a little pond with some fish in it, so we walked over to that area, watching the fish, and she tried to make "traps" that would catch the fish. I don't get to hang out with kids very often, but I'm always in awe at their hearts and passion. And it reminds me of when I was younger, and you start to wonder what happens along the way that just all of a sudden makes you change your mind. We were over there for a little while, then decided to head back to the house.

Everyone was pretty pooped out, just watching TV, and a few others were still getting some of the last stuff at their other place. After a few minutes, we all started heading out. We said goodbye to everyone, then my parents and I went to chipotle for dinner, which was so tasty. I was starting to crash at that point, and there were a lot of college age kids in there being loud, so that was not helping. Finally, we were done, went to Target, then came home to watch Jeopardy and eat Cinnamon rolls.
It was one of the BEST days I have had in awhile. It reminded me of what life is supposed to be about; the simple things-family, togetherness, and not always being in such a rush. It reminded me to slow down and notice the details of things around you. It helped me to appreciate people again, rather than just being with them and not listening to what they have to say.
I'm so glad I helped and got to spend some time with the ones I love :)


No comments:

Post a Comment