February 22, 2013

Free Your Mind

Last night, my head was filled with so many thoughts, as it often is and has been for most of this week, but this time, I couldn't just turn them off. As the night went on, it started pounding even more. I should have taken medicine then, but I was too into a new book my mom had given me, and didn't want to take the time to get up from my comfy position to get any.
Eventually, I turned off the light on my nightstand and the room went pitch black. I thought that would help, but it didn't. My head was still swirling with thoughts and in so much pain, I almost started feeling sick. I tossed and turned a couple of times, staring at my wall and the ceiling, while struggling to fall asleep. A few minutes later, I was out.

This morning, I was still in a lot of pain, so this time, I took medicine for it. I lie awake in bed; reading that same book, then sipping tea and having toast. I could slowly start to feel the pain going away. Things were looking up. A little later in the afternoon, it came back, so I decided not to go to practice at church to get some things into perspective and relax, took some more medicine, which made me very sleepy, and I ended up taking a nap for the next two hours or so! I woke up feeling a bit woozy, took a shower, and worked on a story I'm brainstorming about. I felt a little more refreshed and calm than I had yesterday.

This was probably the most pointless story ever, but there is a moral that I'm trying to get around to. Sometimes, it's good to just do nothing. When your mind and body are constantly always moving and wandering about for no reason at all, it gives us more opportunity to miss those still and quiet moments when God wants to speak to our hearts. I realized that the reason I've been in such a slump, is because I've been keeping myself way more busy than I've needed to be. I've been rushing through everything for no reason, and I haven't been letting God be in control. I've been trying to figure everything out myself, and thats just a bad idea waiting to happen. God is where I find peace and that's where I find rest.

Today was a nice little wake up call of what I need to do. I have nothing to worry about and why stress about things that haven't happened yet? Everything is going to be okay. God is on my side.

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment