November 11, 2012

Major Freakout

Lately, I've been having a few more "meltdowns", if you will, about the future. As all of these big changes are starting to come up in my life, it's starting to freak me out a bit about what the future holds for me. I've said this time and time again, I know, but I have all these plans, and what if none of them work out? What if everything I've worked for ends up doing absolutely no good? But, I also feel like the more open I've been about my freak outs and fears, I find that I'm not alone. And even people that I think have it together all the time or know exactly what they want, are just as confused and trying to figure it out like I am.

When I think about it, even some of the strongest fictional women (but representing real women somewhere out there in the world), have had their breakdowns from time to time, as well. That's when  it clicks in my mind that it's normal to go through these seasons and moments of doubt. Let's take a look at some of my favorites shall we?

Brooke Davis is one of the toughest chicks to have ever been on TV, in my opinion. She was always trying to make the best of situations, even when the cards did not seem to be in her favor at all. She would fight for her friends, her family, and most importantly what was right. But, even she was afraid of the future. When the class was graduating, and everyone else seemed to know what they wanted to do, she had no idea where she wanted to go to school, and said, "I don't like to think about it." When her business was starting to crumble, she worried about what would come next, but still looked forward to it, as scary as it was. Later on, when the business finally closed down because of Victoria, she admitted in Julian's film that she was afraid of what would come next. I guess the truth is, no matter how successful you are, there will always be moments of being afraid to jump.

Keeping it in the One Tree Hill family...Let's see how Haley James Scott. Haley was another incredibly strong character. Think about all the times she could've given up on Nathan in their high school years, or even all the trauma her life brought her out in the real world. Talk about stress! But, she always handled it with such grace and poise, as Nathan put it in season 7. But, as strong and put together as Haley was, she had her moments of "What am I going to do?" She was about to graduate high school, was barely making enough money to pay the bills, Nathan wasn't working, and Jamie was just a little bun in the oven, she worried about how they were going to take care of everything. Even the girl that everyone comes to for advice, needs some help of her own at times.

To me, if anyone was going to achieve greatness, it would be miss Rory Gilmore. After all, she was the one who had been planning on going to Harvard since she was five years old. She's always on top of things, doing whatever extracurriculars she could do to get her foot in the door, and always knew exactly what she wanted. But, as she nears graduation from Yale University...All of a sudden, those dreams and plans turn into one major breakdown. She starts wondering why it even matters if she finishes her finals, and why Lorelai had always told her that she could do anything, because more than likely it wasn't going to happen. Lorelai gave a couple pieces advice that I've heard a thousand or so times, but watching again last night, as I near the same situation, I had to write them down. 

"Everyone needs to have a meltdown every once in awhile, I have firsthand experience!"
"A setback is really just a step for future accomplishment."

Maybe it's because Rory is also majoring in Journalism that I relate to this freak out the most, but I know it's going to be okay, because things turned out pretty good for her in the end.

Rachel Green started out as a spoiled brat whose dad bought her just about anything and everything she'd ever wanted. She had just run away from her own wedding, and was starting out in the big city alone, never having worked a day in her life. To some of those things, I can relate. I haven't worked for anything, really, at all. My parents have always provided for me; I'm extremely dependent. From the get go, we almost see Rachel at her worst-starting off with a breakdown moment, trying to build a life for herself without credit cards or people telling her what to do all the time. Seeing that she could overcome those obstacles, reminds me that I can too. It's all just a matter of wanting to, and having a good support system around you for encouragement.

Plus, I have one thing that none of these girls had... A faith in God that I won't let be shaken at this point in my life, just because of a few questions. I'll do what I can and leave him the rest. I'm going to be just fine. 

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment