July 10, 2012

Season Of Change Is Among Us

"Because these things will change, can you feel it now? 
These walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down  
It's a revolution, the time will come for us to finally win!"
Change can be a good thing. I mean at one point the things we've grown comfortable with now were new to us and we got used to those, right? So, what is it that freaks us out so much about change? I think it's fear of the unknown, it brings our insecurities out of us, and we have to be alert and ready for whatever might be thrown in our path. The reason I ask, is that I feel like a season of change is just around the corner for me. And not even just me, but in the lives of family and friends. I'm not going to lie, it's really weird and liberating.
The other day at church, I found out that two of my friends in the media department are getting ready to leave. One just got married and his wife was offered a job on the outskirts of town, while the other is getting ready to (possibly) be sent out to another church. All of a sudden my heart sank. I didn't realize how used to seeing them I'd been, whether it was just saying 'hi' to them on Sunday mornings or hanging around with them at an event or function that was going on. I got used to the fact that they were in my life now; that God had brought the kind of "family" into my life that I'd always wanted, only to be ripped away from me in just a few short months. I don't understand, but it doesn't have to make sense to me to fit into God's ultimate plan. It doesn't even necessarily mean that they'll be gone forever. It just means that they were meant to be in my life for a hardcore season or two, and that was it. Sometimes they come back! It's all amazing stuff for them and I should be happy for them, it's just hard to let go.
I sat back in my chair and started thinking about how everyone around me is starting to move forward, and I'm stuck at first base. It reminded me of that episode of Lizzie McGuire, as I'm sure I've told this story before. All of these people around Lizzie are moving on to bigger and better things, including the olympics, music, films, etc. and Lizzie is still at square one, trying to figure out what she wants to do with the rest of her life. That's exactly how I feel about my life. Everyone else seems so sure of where their life is headed. Some are going to be teachers, pastors, musicians, photographers and businesswomen. The more I pray about it and observe everyone around me, I think...It's my fault. I've let my life come to this point. I keep waiting for a star to fall to magically change my life, rather than doing anything about it. In the past, when I've wanted something and worked for it, planned for it, or done whatever it took to make it happen-it worked. 

I've been reading Jon Acuff's book, Quitter and his blog, and he has been making some great points about what it takes to land your dream job. I came across an old post of his today that was talking about lucky breaks and how we talk about people that are making things happen. There is a big difference. They WORKED to get to that point. We all technically have the same opportunities, it's just that some use their resources and techniques more than others.
"Complain all you want about people who catch “lucky breaks,” but the truth is painfully simple.
Every touchdown in history, every home run in the last 100 years, every goal scored in every single game of every single sport, happened on the field, not the sidelines.
So either play or don’t, but don’t for a second act like there’s any confusion about where lucky breaks occur and who has access to them."
Jon also had this idea for making things happen on his blog that I found helpful. He calls it the "Finish List." He writes out the things that he wants to accomplish by the end of this year and the progress he has made on each item, ever week. I decided that's what I'm going to do. If I'm not writing it down or keeping track of what I'm doing to get the tasks done. It helps you really set goals and do something about it. Keeps you honest, and I need all the help I can get right now.

From now on, I'm not going to focus on what other people are doing or what path they're being led to. I'm my own person and run at a different pace than everyone else. I'm making BIG changes in my life, and I'm on my way. Today, I finally booked an appointment for my driver's permit test. I feel like that's the first step in getting to other places I want to go. Once I get my license, there's really no stopping me. I'm ready for the whirlwind that is about to come my way. In the next couple years, my life will definitely not be the same; I'm making a pact to myself. Stay tuned for the adventure. I'm excited to see where it leads, myself.

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment