September 15, 2014

The First Day

Waking up with my stomach in knots, I heard my alarm start blaring Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off." I read a couple chapters of a new book that I'm reading, then rolled out of bed. This is probably the first time I have actually dreaded a "first day of school." I should only have a year left, but I'm not excited about it. If I could just be done right now...I would.

Goodbye summer and all of the incredible memories that came with it : staying up late just because. Reading until the wee hours of the morning. Catching up on shows like "New Girl" on Netflix.  Going to concerts. Hanging out with Taylor Swift on the set of her music video. Hanging out with my best friend. Spending time with family. Visiting the Queen Mary. Sleeping in until noon and wondering why I wasted the day.

Sweet memories. All of those things ran through my head as I got ready for my first class, as well as all of the things I said I was going to, but didn't. I was wondering how things were going to be. How much homework I'm going to have. How much I'm going to hate my life by the end of November.

Although, I can't say my stress level went down, it gave me a lot of time to think. Summer always gives me a lot of time to reflect on the school year - my work ethic. It gives me a chance to set new goals, which I need. I'm constantly writing to do lists and making vision boards for the future. It's just what I do. It gives me that extra head space that I don't always have during the school year.

So, I finish getting my stuff together - my lunch, my books, my bag, and eating breakfast. Soon, my mom is dropping me off at my first class. Yes, my mom still drops me off since I don't have a car at the moment. I find my friend, Josh, and sit down. Just a few minutes later, one of the tech guys announces that our professor won't make it to class. It has been canceled on the first day. Well, alrighty then...No complaints from the students. We all immediately walked out. But, now I had several hours to just do nothing. What was I going to do?

I signed up for a trainer (my friend, Athena) at the Student Rec center and I've been reading, people watching and Facebooking at a table outside. It's pretty toasty out already, but I'm sitting under an umbrella, so I don't hate it.

My next class isn't for another hour and 45 minutes. So, I have some time to kill. I'm hoping to meet up with a couple friends since I haven't seen them in awhile. But, now we're all on that wonderful thing of different schedules, so we shall see if it works out. I'll also have time to eat my lunch.

The rest of this day shouldn't be too bad. I have a couple other classes today, but I'm sure it'll only be filled with introductions and class goals for the quarter. Not too bad. I'll be here until 7:15...BOOO. But, what can you do?

That's all for now,
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment