May 25, 2014

Friday, Friday - Gotta get down on Friday

Friday morning, I had to wake up a little earlier than I usually do for class. This time we weren't meeting in our typical place on campus. Instead, we had a field trip to our local newspaper, which I was excited about. I've driven by it a million times, but have never actually been inside - of any real newspaper office for that matter.

My alarm went off and I was so tired from the events of the previous day, but I turned on the light and rolled out of bed. I'm pretty quick to get ready, so that always saves me a bit of time. I out on my makeup, dressed in my best "professional" attire and was ready to go.

I planned to wear this first, but the jacket was bothering me. 
So I changed…..

I grabbed Starbucks, then my dad dropped me off at the newspaper office. There was already a group from my class waiting in front, so I joined them. A few minutes later, my friends showed up. We all started talking about some of our plans for the future as we waited for everyone to show, then headed inside.
Josh totally got in my picture at the last minute and didn't have time to take another. 
Not gonna lie, I felt pretty important walking in like I was heading to work for the day. There wasn't much going on, just people in their cubicles or at their desk, working on who knows what? We walked upstairs and saw the sports section, then walked around the corner where all of the other action takes place. I feel like I could fit in at a place like that. Not necessarily in town, but somewhere and that excites me. I want to have a place to go every day that I look forward to showing up and wondering what the rest of the day holds.

They were filming the morning show that our paper has been producing, "First Look with Scott Cox," so we were able to see what the technical part of that looked like. We were able to talk with a few of the reporters on staff, as well. They told us about that process, some of the guests they've had on the show, and how they hope to incorporate more video as journalism continues to shift that way.  We were able to add whatever comments or questions we had to make it more interactive.

We also talked to our professor's husband, who is one of the reporters on the paper. He told us a few stories he had and walked us through his process, then we had to leave. We were only there for a little over an hour, but we were able to see a lot. After, I rode with Josh back to school for our Public Affairs class.

We watched Frost Nixon, then our prof handed back the corrected papers from our last stories. Apparently, I had missed the memo about the revisions from our last stories being due, so I had nothing to turn in. That meant, I had to run home, make whatever corrections I could to it and rush back to school to turn it in before my prof left. I was stressing major, but I was able to do a bit here and there, so I'm crossing my fingers that it turns out okay.

I changed my clothes, grabbed my stuff and my mom and I ran errands. We dropped my paper off at school, had lunch, went to the bank, went to Target and got an oil change on our car. It was very different from last Friday, and I am SO thankful for that. It felt like things were back to normal. I had fun.

We came home, and I took care of a few things that I needed to do -homework, e-mails, etc. Then, I ended up laying down on the couch and falling asleep. I don't know what is wrong with me, but I can't stop taking naps. It's like I don't even know who I am anymore. It didn't matter how tired I was, I would NEVER take a nap. I guess this really is what adulthood feels like.

When I woke up, I read a little, and later on my dad came home. We had dinner, watched a couple specials on TV…Just a slow Friday night, with nothing to do. Not that I would want to go anywhere if I did. Some family friends of ours stopped by, and that was about it. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep on the couch again…And then I decided to call it a night.

That's all for now,

No comments:

Post a Comment