March 20, 2014

Spring break is finally here. Yipeee!!


I can't believe how fast this quarter went by. It's finally over!!!! The last tests have been taken and my last paper has been turned in. Hallelujah! Spring break can officially commence. Although, I have a feeling that I'll still have that feeling that I need to be doing something hovering over me. *SHIVERS*

Last quarter, I was dreading every single second. This time around, I learned to embrace it and just take it as it comes. That's not to say I haven't been stressed or unhappy, but it wasn't quite as heavy and miserable. But, as happy as I am that the quarter is over, I'm always a little sentimental to see any kind of chapter come to a close.

I was starting to get used to my schedule, I was clicking with the people in my classes-we had a flow going, and I was finally starting to not feel so overwhelmed with the workload. But, now it's time to change everything again. The season is obviously changing from winter into spring, and I'm hoping that also means a good change is coming in terms of next quarter.

Lately, I've just been feeling as if I'm simply trying to survive. But, I want to do more than that. I want to feel empowered, I want to feel determined, I want to feel like I can conquer the world and I want to feel passionate about writing. I want to do something different that is going to change my campus or at least the people around me. I want to be more confident in myself and the decisions I make. I want to help inspire other people to be excited about what they're going to school for.

Here's just a little of what I've learned/observed this quarter:

  • It's important to speak up about things that you're interested in and even just your opinions. People are very opinionated in college, especially communications majors. You have to speak up and tell people who you are and to not be ashamed of that. You have just as much right as anyone else.
  • Having said that, it's good to have opinions and to speak about your passions, etc. But, it doesn't mean you have to do it all the time. If you're quiet, then that's who you are…But, don't let that hold you back and don't get too comfortable there. Find a balance. 
  • It's okay not to be okay all the time. But, you shouldn't let that feeling get you down every single day or discourage you. Mope a little, then dig a little deeper. Why are you feeling like this? As soon as you know, move on and do something about it.
  • It's okay to doubt yourself. Some of the greatest and most successful people out there have struggled more than anyone and look where they are. Those who struggle often have better stories to tell. They had something that set them apart. After all, you don't learn much in your wrinkle free days, right? I think when you're struggling and doubting, and going through obstacles where everything seems to be going against you, you're about to come into something really great that God has set up. 
Now, it's time to unwind and to start preparing for what lies ahead. Let the relaxation begin. 

This is what I hope to accomplish over spring break:
  • Organize my closet
  • Set a plan of what I hope to do in the newspaper as editor
  • Newspaper room clean-out day
  • Coffee and heart-to-hearts with friends
  • Catch up on Once Upon A Time (I think I'll accomplish that tonight)
  • Get artsy/feel inspired - Make collages, write, listen to music, etc. 
  • Talk with Pastor Wendy at church
I'm determined to make this the best week of my life and to do as much, yet as little as possible. I want to come back better than ever and ready to push forward in my career. Let's do this. 

That's all for now,
Shelby :)


No comments:

Post a Comment