September 20, 2013

First week...DONE!

I have officially survived my first week of school at my new university! To tell you the truth, it's a little overwhelming right now. The classes haven't been too hard just yet, but I feel like I'm making them harder than they have to be. That way, it's not a complete shock if things do get a little more intense down the road.
There are clubs I need to choose from, I'm working on the paper, I need to get a job and am applying at a couple places, and in all honesty, I'm just really looking at everyone, like, "How in the world are you doing this and not completely drowning in life?" HA! I guess, sometimes, you just have to do what you've gotta do and get it done and not think about all the work and steps it's going to take to get there.

Currently, I'm taking:
  • Newspaper production
  • Intro to communications
  • Intro to Mass Media
  • Interpersonal communications
  • Technical report writing (online)
I really love the campus, though, it's so different from everywhere else I've been that has basically had two main buildings and a few other scattered classrooms. Luckily, all of my classes are all in the same general area, which makes it nice. And I haven't gotten lost once. I've caught up with some old friends and familiar faces from high school, as well as being open and trying to talk (and introduce myself formally) to as many people as I can in my classes. It's all about connections now! Now, it's a matter of finding a balance between keeping busy and not taking on too much. In a way, it feels like I've been here forever. 

Monday: 






Tuesday:

I pulled a Rory Gilmore-eating lunch by myself and listening to the new Chris Young CD...Yes, I do look like a weirdo here. Oh well! 




Wednesday:


So far, I'm really enjoying my classes! I mean, after all, they're all about things I do and talk about on a normal basis, just a little more formal now. However, after talking about and dealing with media talk all day, I might be taking a break from Twitter, Instagram and other social media sites a little more, so I don't get too burnt out on it. It's a matter of not letting the media consume my life, but of finding ways to impact the media when I actually get into it professionally. My goal is to also not to freak myself out too much for things that are so far into the future that I don't even know what's going to happen, because it's just not worth it. It's all about taking it day by day, getting to know people, actually taking the time to read and learn the things that I'm being taught, get involved with whatever I can, and to truly make the most of this experience. The steps I'm taking now will absolutely show the outcome of what kind of job I get and how I can provide for my future and my family. It's time to get down to business and to stop coasting, like it's a far off dream that will happen someday. Because someday is now...And it's happening. 

"I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive
I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise
To fly, 
To fly..."
*Nicki Minaj and Rihanna*


That's all for now,
Shelby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment