January 23, 2014

Roll out the red carpet…Award season is here!

One of my very favorite times of the year is award season, and it's fitting that it comes after my first, which is Christmas. I love the interviews, the celebrity glamour, the gowns, the lights, and depending on who's hosting, the monologues and jokes.

Being a journalism major, I'm fascinated with the red carpet. I love hearing the stories that the celebrities have to tell, whether it's about being nominated or a crazy thing that happened to them while they were getting ready. I love all of the behind the scenes magic that goes into what seems to be a picture perfect kind of night. Also, I really only watch E! for the carpets, so the people I mention are from their network (i.e. Giuliana, Ryan, Kelly, etc) most. However, I also just love a really good show, celebrating some of the most talented in the business and giving credit where credit is due.

Some of my favorite moments so far:

Let's start with People's Choice (hosted by Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs)

*I loved that the monologue included Brad Paisley, and him giving Beth Behrs his hat! Too cute.
*Beth Behrs singing Before He Cheats. Yeah, that was pretty awesome.
*Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder's really awkward speech...It was kinda cute, but mainly just weird, but I liked that they kind of addressed what everyone else was probably thinking.
*Justin Timberlake winning favorite album! AH! (but, that was an obvious one)
*Sandra Bullock winning favorite movie actress! Sandra is the best! My favorite actress, for sure.

I don't think these are as exciting as they used to be, and I never cared for the fact that the celebs know who wins before they announce it, so you can always tell who wins just by who shows up on the carpet. Oh well! It's all for the fun of it and the fans getting the last word, like Taylor Swift.

Let's talk fashion (not really much to say about the carpet, because I wasn't able to watch the live stream of it): 

This is another fun award show, where people can get by wearing just about anything, and most of them do tend to be a bit more bold in their choices. There's usually a lot of pattern and a mix of floor length/cocktail dresses! So, these are my favorites: Lucy Hale, Ian Somerhalder, Kat and Beth, Justin Timberlake and Sandra Bullock!




(Courtesy of: Ontheredcarpet.com)
(courtesy of: Redbookmag.com)

Golden Globes (hosted by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler):
MY FAVORITE! I love the fact that TV and movies are brought together for one night only, so you never know what can happen. 


I liked Tina's dress/hair better for the opening monologue. 
*Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosting the Golden Globes, obviously. That wins all of the awards right there. They are my favorite hosts (tied with Carrie and Brad for country shows). I mean, who wouldn't include that as a highlight? They're both incredibly talented and hilarious on their own, but together they are seriously UNSTOPPABLE. I would love to see them do a variety show someday! Maybe they could do a joined show with Carrie and Brad, because I would also like to see them do one. They should all just really talk to me about the plans I have, because it could be epic ;). 
~That joke about George Clooney talking to someone his own age and Sandra Bullock laughing hysterically. 
~The fact that Monica Potter was nominated!!!!!
~Amy Poehler winning for TV actress in a comedy series! AH!!! I seriously cried tears of happiness as I read the announcement at dinner. She has never won before…Like, what?!
~Seeing who was rubbing elbows with who or was seated together at the tables. 

Now, let's talk fashion/the carpet
~Jennifer Lawrence and Taylor Swift having a conversation 
~Seeing Adam Scott in the background while Giuliana was getting ready for another interview. But, I am deeply saddened by the fact that they didn't talk to him.
~So. MANY. GORGEOUS DRESSES.
~Way to go Ryan for making things awkward again (saying he had never met Margot Robbie from The Wolf on Wall Street, and quickly having to cover up! haha).
~Amy and Tina (just because).

Fashion wise, there was a lot of color going on. Some were mixed and matched with colors that don't normally go together, and others were just very bold with the shades of colors they chose. Some were very traditional and classy, while others were a little unconventional, but I really do think everyone pulled it off. So many beautiful people in one place on the same night, so it's hard to choose just one.
















SAG Awards: 

*Honestly, because they were on a Saturday, it kind of threw things off for me and I went to the movies, so I wasn't actually home to watch. Having said that, I still have yet to watch the actual award show (though I know who won everything), but I have to say the carpet was extremely entertaining. The interviews were fantastic and Giuliana was really having fun with it. It seems like everyone else was too. Maybe the celebs are just really warmed up to all of the red carpet buzz and are ready to say whatever comes up. The SAG Awards are honestly not my favorite either, because it's usually most of the stuff that I haven't watched.

~Giuliana pointing out that Oprah had glasses in her hand…HAHAHA!
~Julia Roberts' little incident with the barricade almost crashing down on her-CRAZY! Although, her pant suit was a very interesting choice of wardrobe. 
~Matthew McConaughey not having any idea that he would be nominated! He seemed very humble about that.
~Sandra Bullock and Giuliana talking about the George Clooney joke from the Golden Globes and Sandra denying that she laughed! Haha!








And of course, there are a lot of other awards, like the Critics Choice, etc. But, I didn't get a chance to watch those either. Man, I am really slacking this year.

As for what's next…That would be the Grammy's, this Sunday! AND I WILL BE THERE. Well, at least for the red carpet anyway and it is a dream. come. true. As a little girl, who always thought she would be a singer, that was one of the visions I had for myself. And while I might not be attending as a celebrity, it will still be such a fun experience to have from the other side. Because the more I think about it, I'm starting to doubt that I could have handled the whole fame and stardom thing.

Anywho, I can't wait to see all the dresses and everyone in person! Crossing my fingers to meet a few artists, as well.


  • Carole King
  • Justin Timberlake
  • Katy Perry
  • Keith Urban
  • Taylor Swift (again)
  • Beyonce
Those are just a few I hope to see or meet. We shall see how it all goes down in just two full days now! AHHHHHHHHHHH!

That's all for now,
Shelby 


No comments:

Post a Comment