June 21, 2013

{My Life Lately}

Wow! It was just brought to my attention, thanks to my friend, Cassandra, that I haven't blogged in almost two months on here. That has to be some sort of record! I remember the days when I first started that I used to spend days at a time just solely blogging post after post, whether it was about a new book or the day I had in LA. I guess I really am growing up after all, so I'm busier than I used to be...Or I just don't have the patience and attention span for it. Maybe a mixture of the two? But, I digress.

Anyway, I thought I would give you a short run down of the past couple months just so you'll all be caught up on my totally exciting life (HA!) and then I'll break it down in separate entries if there's more info to be shared :) Sound good? Okay, let's go!
  • Graduation:
I graduated May 24th from Taft College with my AA in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Communications! It felt like it had been such a long time coming and the day would never come, since I'd been there almost 2 1/2 years. But after I walked across the stage, it felt strangely like it was over in the blink of an eye, and I couldn't believe I was graduating yet again, and moving onto the next phase. I made so many great memories at Taft and really did learn a lot, whether it was about myself personally, being ready for a challenge, or just getting warmed up for the real thing and what I need to do to succeed when I transfer this fall. I didn't go to Taft looking to make friends or really meet new people. Actually, I was probably trying to avoid it altogether at the time, but I met some people who really did change my life and made me realize how great it is to meet new people and I really am proud of that accomplishment, because there were plenty of times I was just ready to say forget it and I would start looking for a job. But, anything worth having in life means hard work and determination, and the ceremony reminded me of all of that and the new goals I want to make for myself.
It was a bit of a whirlwind to be honest, but I'm glad I got to share it with some of the most important people in my life. After the graduation ended, we went out to celebrate at none other than Denny's! LOL. It could not have been more perfect! I had my aunt, uncle and cousin there (from my dad's side), my best friend (Marissa), some family friends that are like family to me, my parents and my aunt (my mom's side). We were able to laugh, joke, eat, and just let loose, which is always entertaining! I also felt extremely loved that everyone wanted to be there for me.





  • Gotta love going to the doctor's office!
I had been having a lot more headaches lately, about a month ago, but I didn't think too much of it, because I've always dealt with headaches from the time I was younger. Well, after getting my haircut, I noticed a bump on my head...I'm talking a bump probably the size of a golf ball underneath my skull that I had never noticed before, and something just didn't feel right. The day of my graduation, I had a pounding headache just on the right side of my head (where the bump is), but I figured it was just nerves and excitement. Anytime there's a big event, I tend to get a little tense, so I figured it would go away...But, it didn't. I avoid the doctor like the plague and usually just try to brush whatever it is under the rug and hope it'll go away or stop bothering me. But, a knot that you've never felt on your head couldn't be a good thing...So, I decided to get it checked out before leaving for vacation. Well, the doctor felt it right away, but didn't seem to be too concerned, so I guess I shouldn't either, but I also didn't get it taken care of or find out what could be causing it either..I did some researching online (which I always try to stay away from, but always end up on anyway) and think it might have something to do with my sinuses, as weird as it sounds. So, I took an antibiotic and nose spray...And now we'll see if that actually does anything at all. The bump is still there, but it doesn't bother me right now, so that's a good thing.

  • Nashville. 
Where do I even begin, other than, once again it was one of the best weeks of my life? And I guess that really sums it up best for right now with the "catch up" blog! I'll fill you in on the rest of the details later on. 

  • My beautiful cousin just got married last Sunday afternoon (Father's Day). It was a beautiful and intimate ceremony with that countryside feel, which I absolutely adore and she looked gorgeous. It's so weird to think she's a married woman now; a wife. I remember the days when we would pretend we were married and talk about our "husbands" over imaginary tea, and now she has the real thing. It gives me hope that one of these days I will find my Prince Charming, too. I also couldn't help but smiling like a complete idiot either as they both said, "I do." TOO ADORABLE FOR WORDS. So so happy for them! Can't wait to see where life takes them!

  • The transitions in my life are also becoming more real as I attended "new student orientation" and started talking to the counselors and advisors from CSUB this week, which is officially my new school. It was a little overwhelming as I saw all of these unfamiliar faces and the HUGE campus that I had to try to find my way around. Definitely a big stretch from what I'm used to (usually with 2 or 3 main buildings wherever I've gone in the past), but it's a good change. It felt a little like my Jr. Hi experience all over again in the beginning-not knowing anyone and calling my mom at lunch, because I felt so awkward to just randomly start talking to people. But, I did talk to some friendly girls; two of which I'll probably be having classes with, since we're all communications majors, so I'm really excited about that. We hit it off really well! I'm excited to see what the next two years of my life holds. I'm determined to try a little bit of everything (Student government, auditioning for plays, joining choir, writing, etc.) and to be involved in as much as I can without going overboard and running myself into the ground. I want to make new friends, reconnect with the old ones, to be remembered by people and to leave some sort of legacy there. I want to make a dent there, and to not be just another face in the crowd like I've done so many times before. I want to not be afraid to take a few risks or take a few chances, and to just see what it leads to. I'm ready to make things uncomfortable in the best way possible, if that makes sense. God has called us to live BIG lives and I intend to do just that...This is the moment I've been waiting for, and I don't want to take it lightly. I'm going to have a FULL load in September, which has me a little nervous. The advisor said it was a good thing that I didn't work and that I live with my parents because it's going to be a crazy quarter (GULP)...But, the sooner I can get done, the sooner I can be out in the real world and do what I've always wanted.  I want to give it everything I've got.. "I don't want easy, I want crazy!" 

So, there you have it! I've been keeping pretty busy this summer and it's only just beginning really. I'm going to try to update more, but I'm just trying to enjoy the moments a little more as well, instead of being so concerned that everyone else has to know what I'm up to! Sometimes it's better to just take it all in and soak up every feeling of the moment than it is to be concerned about how to put it into words...

That's all for now,
Shelby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment